Full Stack Web DeveloperFull Time
Salem, OR with Telecommute Options
Work at OETC
Why does a small nonprofit need a Full Stack Web Developer?
OETC’s e-commerce application, developed in-house, streamlines the technology purchasing process for educational institutions so that schools can quickly and efficiently purchase the edtech that classrooms require. In addition to our e-commerce application, OETC also maintains a custom CMS that supports our community-focused events.
This position requires a person who can work well in a team, enjoys building full stack applications that leverage new technologies, takes pride in giving attention to detail, and works hard to solve problems in the educational technology industry.
Problems OETC Has Solved
- The Design and Development team at OETC has built a powerful “Quotes” feature that simplifies the approval process for purchasing authorization for our membership. This feature makes it possible for our Operations team to schedule quotes and improving purchasing efficiency.
- Using Elasticsearch, we have made it easier for purchasing professionals to sort through the huge variety of manufacturer SKUs and complicated part names to find what they’re looking for.
- Dissatisfied with third party options, the Design and Development team custom-built a schedule application for OETC event attendees to pick the sessions they would like to attend at our annual conferences.
Examples of Problems OETC Would Like to Solve
- Information in the educational technology marketplace is asymmetrical. Vendors and manufacturers hold all the information about pricing, volumes and discounts, putting educational institutions at a disadvantage. The Design and Development team would like to utilize OETC’s large volume of purchasing data to help members make more informed decisions about what they should purchase based on industry trends, and what price they should expect.
- The business-to-business e-commerce user experience in the educational technology market leaves many users frustrated and under-served. The Design and Development team would like to deliver the convenience of modern e-commerce so that members can spend less time worrying about purchasing technology.
The Design and Development team is responsible for thoughtfully designing, constructing and maintaining the applications through which OETC interacts with the world—in particular the OETC store, an e-commerce application that supports the technology purchasing process; as well as the custom CMS that supports OETC’s events.
- End-to-end project development: develop, test, deploy, maintain.
- Design and deploy secure, stable and high-performance web services and applications.
Skills and Qualifications
- Competency in backend technologies, such as Python, PHP, MySQL.
- Experience developing SPA with Backbone.js and RequireJS.
- Working knowledge of development tools such as Git, Grunt, Capistrano.
- Experience with Responsive Design.
- Experience with Flask, CodeIgniter is a plus.
- Engineering approach and great attention to detail.
- Written and oral communication skills in English.
At OETC, we foster a personal, team-oriented environment and a culture that values work-life balance. OETC employees enjoy flexible hours; a full benefits package; and paid maternity and paternity leave, sick leave and vacation time.
- Health care, including dental, vision, and primary, for employee and family
- Employer contributing retirement—OETC contributes 15% of employee gross salary in SEP IRA
- Disability and life insurance
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Monthly internet and phone stipend
- Professional development opportunities
- Employee scholarships for continued education
- Loans to purchase personal technology
- Personalized IT
OETC’s office is located in the historic downtown district of Oregon’s capital city Salem, Oregon. Our building is an easy walking distance from Salem’s many restaurants, coffee shops, and parks.
The OETC office is equipped with large windows that overlook Pringle Creek and bathe the office in natural light and views of lush greenery. All workspaces and tools are personalized according to individual need and comfort.
Want to pursue a career at OETC but live outside of Salem? Telecommute flexibility for employees in the Portland and surrounding areas can be negotiated.Learn More About Jobs at OETC